Download package standalone

Home Forums General discussion Download package standalone

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Le Dave 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Le Dave

Hi there,

When I download a create theme as a standalone and install it on another WP installation, I got the message “The parent theme is missing. Please install the “runway-framework” parent theme.”

Does anybody else has run into that too?

Andy
    Keymaster

I think this is happening because of a change just before the latest version of the beta was posted. I’m going to put in an issue for this to have the developers look into it and see if it’s still happening. If not, we’ll publish an updated beta and send out a Tweet and Email (newsletter) notification when it’s live.

Thanks for letting us know!

Le Dave

Also, I don’t know if it is related to that issue but when I try to create a new theme I receive the error about “/wp-content/themes/test/data/pages/” that is not created and writable so I click on fix all issues but when I go on the frontend I have the message “Please activate a Runway child theme.” which of course is activated. When I go to the newly created theme folder, the only files created are functions.php (nothing in except a small comment), style.css (nothing in except the style comment), screenshot.png, data folder with settings.json and the pages folder which is empty too. Is it suppose to be like that?

Andy
    Keymaster

Oh! The “please activate” message is on the public side? I think that’s probably my fault, something I wrote into the framework so many months ago when it was just starting to take form… maybe a year or more.

Ok, I’ve already entered the issue but I’ll update it to specify the message is happening on the public page not the admin.

The default “new” child theme is just a bare bones, minimum files needed for you to build your own theme. If you happen to have Incentive or Moxie, you can look at the source of those to see how we’re pulling theme options with the get_options_data() functions. The idea was that everyone (theme developers/designers) has their own style for writing the code, structuring the files and such. We’re hoping Runway will provide a shortcut to adding theme options, powerful add-on features with extensions and generally speed up the development process, but without forcing you into a “framework” structure in the code. That’s what a lot of frameworks do by creating this sub-set of functions and shortcuts for you to code with. To me that’s just another set to keep up with in addition to the ones WP already has and I don’t think it’s necessary. To go our own direction we built Runway like an “options” framework but added the extra user interface features and extensions ability to really create a powerful development environment for making themes.

The reason you’re probably seeing that message on the public side is there isn’t an “index.php” file so the default index from the framework folder is loading instead. Looks like it’s time to add a new condition to that code so we can check if there is a child theme active before we print the message.

Andy
    Keymaster

Thinking about it a little bit more, I think now that it would probably be a good idea to populate new child themes with a minimum set of files to allow content to display. At the minimum an “index.php” file that calls the loop?

Any suggestions for other default files you would want as a minimum set for a new child theme?

Le Dave

Well, I understand the principle of not setting up a file structure because we all are different but I am kind of split up in between decisions here because for example having to setup WP nav, header, footer, comment, styles and all the other stuff everytime you want to create a new child theme is a bit tedious… Then you could say that after the first one you could just simply duplicate it…

To answer your question, if as you said, you do not want to impose a file structure I guess having only the index page is enough. I think the problem I encounter was because I did not know what to do with it and with the error as it is missing at least a little documentation to know what to expect/do, you can have the best product in the world but if you don’t know how to use it…

I have added the index.php, the message is not longer present

Le Dave

PS: I have read the documentation to create a new child theme but it do not mention anything about this error

Andy
    Keymaster

Great points. The documentation is a work in progress and will continue to evolve. The idea of a new theme having certain defaults is probably a good idea that I will implement. At one time I considered building a “template” feature in allowing users to define any child theme as a template which could be selected when creating a new child theme, however I decided it was unnecessary because of the duplicate options as you pointed out.

I think having a more comprehensive structure for the start and especially right now when the documentation is sparse and people are still learning the framework will be best. Thanks for the suggestions, we’ll be sure to include them.

Andy
    Keymaster

This is fixed now but we haven’t published the updated code yet. It seems there was more to the issue, also being related to the style.css header still including the line with the assignment of a parent theme. We’ll publish a new version of the beta this week.

Le Dave

Cool! Thanks a lot Andy, that’s pretty fast! Keep it up :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.