Framework base?

Home Forums General discussion Framework base?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andy 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DB

Hi,

Is Runway a standalone framework in it’s own right, or is it based on Zurb’s Foundation or Twitter’s Bootstrap? I only ask as I’ve been playing with Foundation and would be really interested in this if it happens to be based on it – i.e. I don’t want to go through the learning curve on another framework just yet until I’ve got the other one fixed in my mind!

Cheers,

Andy
    Keymaster

Runway isn’t the same type of framework as Bootstrap or Zurb. Those are both front-end HTML/CSS/JavaScript frameworks that deal with the overall structure of your website design. Runway is a WordPress framework that manages the creation of theme options, admin areas and that sort of thing. You might think of it as a theme building framework. It can use any front end framework such as the one from Zurb, Bootstrap, Pure CSS, etc.

DB

Thanks for the reply. In that case, how does your Incentive theme get it’s responsiveness? Is that based on one of those frameworks?

As I really like the Incentive theme, do you have a straight html (non WordPress) version of it?

Cheers

Andy
    Keymaster

We don’t have an HTML only version of the Incentive theme.

To create the responsive functionality in our themes we use a variation of the Bootstrap CSS. We do this because Bootstrap includes a lot of additional styles for buttons, inputs, text and much more that we feel it’s easier to style ourselves from the defaults than to add extra CSS to “undo” the styling we may not want. For example, we might make a design with square corners on the buttons, but Bootstrap added rounding to buttons automatically. Now we must write extra styles just to remove the Bootstrap added styles we don’t need, creating unnecessary bloat in the style sheets.

The responsive functionality can be added using any framework you need. It’s pretty easy to start a theme from Bootstrap with Runway if that’s what you’re wanting to do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.