Notes, Details and Documentation

Home Forums General discussion Notes, Details and Documentation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andy 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Andy
    Keymaster

There are things you’ll need to know while using Runway that we probably forgot to document. It’s hard to remember everything so this topic will be used to occasionally post additional notes, documentation and other details that should be helpful. We encourage everyone to participate and add their comments and observations.

There will be a Wiki style documentation site created very soon. It’s in progress now and once completed we can begin transferring the knowledge gathered here into that new location. It’s our hope to make that site available for anyone to contribute. We want this to be a community project with the direction of development decided by the users. Runway is a free and open source project for making it easier to build and maintain WordPress themes. Together we can create an incredible tool that makes getting our jobs done easier and faster.

Thanks!

cssdoctor
    Participant

Sorry, where is the documentation located that you have so far, or is that no ready yet?

Andy
    Keymaster

@cssdoctor

What we have now is in the “Dashboard” page under the “Runway” menu item of the framework admin. This is a first release of a beta product so it isn’t going to have much documentation.

sokabs

Hi. Sorry if this is a daft question, but how do I install and run this framework? Do I just run it as a stand-alone web app, or run it through an existing WordPress installation?

Andy
    Keymaster

@sokabs

It’s a good and valid question. Due to my own ability to turn tiny simple projects into massive time devouring beasts, we still don’t have a documentation site up. It is setup for the beginning of the publication of this type of information, guides and such, but I’ve put a lot of time into building a single sign on solution for Runway, Parallelus and any future sites that I thought I was almost done with 2 weeks ago!

I’m putting the final touches on it today (seriously!) and then I’m immediately going to be writing an outline of the documentation site structure for Jeff to begin populating. I’ll also be involved in writing this information as well the other developers, Alex and Sergey, that have worked so many hours over the last 18+ months developing Runway and it’s Extensions.

So, back to the question being asked. Runway installs as a WordPress theme. You would install it into your WordPress admin just like a typical theme either by uploading the ZIP file in “Appearance > Themes” or uploading it to your “wp-content/themes” directory on the server. When you activate the theme it’s going to immediately ask if you want to use the default child theme. It’s recommended that you do since so many of Runway’s features are designed to be applied only to a child theme.

Once you have a feel for the features and functionality you can create your own child theme, make custom theme options, admin menus and all kinds of other fun things. The completed child theme can be run as a child theme of Runway or “compiled” to a standalone theme. You might see that described in the admin as “packaging” or find it under the “Download” options in the “Runway Themes” admin area. The benefit of a standalone version is it becomes independent of Runway and can be installed by itself which is much easier to distribute but it’s really your choice to use the method that best suits your needs.

I hope that helps and please let me know if you have other questions. I have a ton of updates from Alex and Sergey in the last week waiting for me to review and publish. I think I’m going to dump all the updated extensions onto the server right now so they’ll appear inside of your admin under the “Downloads” menu. These extensions will allow you to do a lot more things, much like a plugin, but unlike plugins when you package your theme to move sites, distribute to clients or sell the Extensions are integrated into the theme as default features. No more installing plugins on client sites or writing documentation for how to install theme. Not to mention no longer worrying about building features that require the plugin only to have the client turn it off or delete it, breaking the theme. Extensions solve all of those problems. Look for that package of 6-8 new ones to show up in the downloads area in the next day or so.

Thanks!

sokabs

Thanks for such a detailed answer. This is quite helpful, and I look forward to exploring what Runway has to offer.

Andy
    Keymaster

No problem at all.

I did manage to get those updated Extensions published and about 6 new ones so be sure to test those out under “Downloads > Directory” from the Runway admin. I’ll send out some tweets and emails about them next week. There should also be an update to Beta 4 sometime soon, either this Friday or after the weekend.

Be sure to post anything you find: bugs, issue, questions or just general comments to this forum and we’ll make sure they are addressed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.